Photon Quantum v2 ALPHA – Now Available
We recently released Photon Quantum v2 ALPHA which is a big leap forward from our current production version 1.2.4.x. The v2 ALPHA is now available to all Quantum subscribers.
Here is a high-level tech overview of the important new features.
- Entity memory model: Quantum now implements a sparse-set ECS model (similar to enTT). This means entities are just references (same EntityRef as before) to collections of components. Most important advantages: memory consumption is proportional to instantiated entities + ability to add and remove components dynamically.
- Dynamic Lists: In addition to fixed sized “arrays”, Quantum now adds full predict/rollback support to dynamic collections inside the game state (starting with an implementation of List, full collection library will follow).
- Dynamic Asset DB: The base AssetObject class (and DSL declarations) remain the same, but assets are now loaded dynamically when required (first time used) or when explicitly requested (background thread loading). Everything is thread safe from parallelized systems, and it’s now also possible to add assets dynamically to the DB even on predicted frames.
- Entity Prototypes: New asset type (+ Unity editors) for entity compositions and data, so you can easily instantiate pre-defined entities (including prefabs directly on a game scene – baked to map and automatically instantiated).
- Physics Engines New split-components model (PhysicsCollider, PhysicsBody + per-entity toggleable physics callbacks and joints, both in 2D and 3D versions) mean a lot more expressive power and control of physics. Also completely revised APIs and a brand new 2D physics engine with much improved performance.
- Online Menu Scene + Photon Realtime: Completely reviewed reference Menu scene, with a lot of quality of life improvements and extra features out of the box + new iCommunicator implementation based on the bare photon realtime API (removed PUN, although still possible to import PUN2 if necessary).
- Task Profiler: High performance CPU task/thread profiling with very low overhead, including support for remote profiling even IL2CPP builds. Automatically profiles custom systems.
Please see our Photon online documentation for more information here >>
In case you are interested in a free Photon Quantum trial please mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.